What can our mouth/tongue tell us about food?
At TASIS, science students have offered a number of answers to this question and their answers have been converted to a series of questions for use in taste-dependent food investigations…
- Identification: What is it? (e.g., It is a strawberry.)
- What basic tastes are present? (sweet, sour, salty, bitter, umami)
- What other tastes are present? (starchy? fatty…aka. oleogustus?)
- What memory does the taste evoke for you?
- What emotion does the taste evoke in you? (e.g., sadness, happiness, nostalgia, etc.)
Can you think of other food-related questions that can be answered by taste?
Some ‘tasty’ resources for students…
- A word bank full of useful TASTE words.
Last updated: September 2019