Depending on the science, collecting specimens may involve hunting or trapping (in the case of ‘wild’ organisms), raising, cultivating, and/or growing (in the case of domesticated organisms), or other acts of gathering (e.g., taking photographs of clouds or picking up small rocks).
Dr. M's Photo of the Week
- Life goes on for marine ecosystems after cataclysmic mass extinction October 20, 2017
- NASA's MAVEN mission finds Mars has a twisted magnetic tail October 19, 2017
- New NASA study improves search for habitable worlds October 19, 2017
- Pollution killed 9 million people in 2015 October 20, 2017
- Dawn spacecraft will keep orbiting the dwarf planet Ceres indefinitely October 20, 2017
- Scientists battle over whether violence has declined over time October 20, 2017